Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

My cat bit me several times on both of my hands. He's an

Customer Question

My cat bit me several times on both of my hands. He's an indoor cat. There are bites between my thumbs and first finger. I am having pain below that area. Is this something I should be concerned with? Laurie Frank
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 9 months ago.

Im sorry to hear about your bites. can i ask is your cat fully vaccinated including for rabies? Secondly is there any redness etc around the site? Do you havea picture which you can attach here?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The bites themselves are red, so I'm not sure if there is redness around it. It looks like a background of red with the bite on top of it. Is that what you mean?

Thank you for the additional information

The first thing to note is how deep are the cat bites, if they are very deep then they need to be thoroughly cleaned by visiting the doctors office. Superficial wounds can be treated at home with the help of adequate cleaning and also with the help of application of neosporin on the wounds followed by a dressing of the wounds. Now considering the redness, it seems as if they are infected and if this is the case then you should be concerned about an infection which should be treated with the help of specific antibiotics. Now i would recommend that you have this treated by getting thsi examined by your doctor aand in the meantime keep applying neosporin on the area and follow that up with dressings with sterile gauze. Also if your tetanus vaccination is not up to date have that updated as well. But do seek medical attention.

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you to know anything else? If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can ask followup questions after the rating.

Expert:  Dr.Nasim replied 9 months ago.

Hi

Just saw your question. A little more to add to this information as being an Infectious disease physician.

Cat bites can lead to a variety of infections as they carry a number of bacteria in their teeth, saliva and oral cavity.I would like briefly list them for you.

1. Risk of bacterial infections like streptococcus, staphylococcus, morexella and many more which can lead to redness, cellultis and deep infection at the bite site.

2. There are anaerobes in the mouth of cats like bacteroides, fusobacterium and porphyromonas which can lead to infection at bite site.

3. Cat scratch disease: Cat's bite can lead to cat scratch disease caused by "Bartonella henslae"a gram negative bacteria,which leads to pain and swelling and unilateral axillary lymph nodes swelling.

4. Pasturella multocida: Another gram negative bacterial infection caused by cat bite leads to rapidly developing cellulitis (redness and pain of skin and soft tissues).

5. Capnocytophaga: A gram negative infection commonly caused by dogs but can also be caused by cats. It leadsto severe infection/sepsis inelderly, immunocompromised and people without spleen.

6.Bacillary angiomatosis: An infection by cat bites in patients with HIV/AIDS.

7. Rabies: If a cat is unvaccinated for rabies, one should immediately get Human rabies immunoglobulin and rabies vaccine

7. Tetanus: If some one has not received a tetanus booster in the last 10 years, should get tetnus toxoid immediately.

So dont take such bites lightly, they can lead to problems.Keep an eye on you and get an early appointment with your infectious disease specialist.Thanks

If you wish to ask any questions, you are welcome.

Hello again,

As i said previously, you do need to get this evaluated by your doctor so that he can examine the situation and determine the best course of action. You might need antibiotics considering the redness around the bite site and a tetanus booster is necessary as well.