Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

My 11 year old has bad stomach cramps and diarrhea .... Have

Customer Question

My 11 year old has bad stomach cramps and diarrhea ....
Have given her panadol but her cramps are not going away
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 9 months ago.

im sorry to hear about your daughter. Now since she has diarrhea can you tell me is it watery in consistency? any blood or mucus in the diarrhea? Fever? Nausea or vomiting? How long has she been suffering from these symptoms?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Not watery she says. No blood or mucus. No Fever and no vomiting.
She's has been to the toilet once with Diarrhea but has had sharp cramps to lower and upper abdomen for 3 hours now...
She feels nauseous as well.

Thank you for the additional information.

Well the first thing here is that the diarrhea needs to be managed with the help of increased hydration therapy which means that you need to give her as much as water as she can drink. this would be supplemented with the help of electrolyte rich fluids such as ORS which is commercially available at your local pharmacy. An electrolyte rich fluid is very important as that will allow replenishment of lost potassium and sodium which is essential to prevent complications from occurring. Secondly the cramps which she is experiencing is the consequence of the contraction of the intestines, this would need to be treated with anti spasmodic medication but i would not recommend these as in the case of infectious diarrhea it is recommended that no medications be used to stop the diarrhea as that can lead to more complications. Acetaminophen can be given safely as can certain NSAIDs however considering the pain which she has it would be better to have this evaluated.

The reason as to why im recommending medical evaluation is because of the intensity of the pains, it is possible that she could have meckels diverticulum which would cause pain in teh right lower abdomen as well as tenderness alongwith diarrhea. Sharp pain which isnt resolving with simple painkillers does require further evaluation. A clinical examination is necessary to rule out abdominal tenderness which can indicate a more serious pathology, secondly she might need an abdominal ultrasound. Since she is nauseous as well now, i would recommend that you do take her to urgent care instead of treating this at home. While it may be simple viral gastroenteritis or even bacterial gastroenteritis (which needs antibiotics), a medical evaluation is necessary because of the pain which is experiencing.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Any other questions which you might have? If done for now, please remember to leave a POSITIVE rating as that is the only way we are compensated for helping you today.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
She feels a little better when she curls into a ball and brings her knees to her chest
Under her belly button she feels like knife stabs
Does that mean anything different?

Yes, these could indicated a severe infection in the abdomen or even signs of appendicitis. She NEEDS to go to the ER or urgent care as soon as possible. I would STRONGLY urge you to take her. Appendicitis can present in this manner as well. She needs evaluation by a physician.

Would you to know anything else? If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can ask followup questions after the rating.

How is your daughter now? Is her pain better? Did you take her to the ER?