Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

I'm taking psychotropic meds such as seroquel and cymbalta

Customer Question

I’m taking psychotropic meds such as seroquel and cymbalta for my mental condition. The other day lab technicians took my urine sample in order to find out what kind of life insurance I can have. Can they find out that I’m taking psychotropic medicines from my urine? Can they know exactly for certain what kind of med it is: let’s say Seroquel or Zyprexa or they can know like in classes: like psychotropic or over-the-counter med like Advil PM.
How long after taking Seroquel (for example a week or 2 weeks) will it show up in my urine?
Can they know if it’s a female or male urine?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 4 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Yes, they can test the urine to determine what drugs you are taking, but no, it is not typically done. They may do testing to look for drugs of abuse, but they typically would not perform drug testing to look for psychotropic medicines beyond those that may be abused recreationally.

Almost every drug is metabolized into a form that can be detected in the urine, but they will typically not be interested in testing for the 1000s of different drugs that are available. If it were to be done, they would be able to determine which drug is being taken. There are screening tests for certain classes of drugs that will only determine that a drug within that class is present, but advanced testing can determine which drug is actually present.

The only time that there would be difficulty in identifying the specific drug is when the drug that is taken is metabolized into another drug. For example, Vyvanse is metabolized into dextroamphetamine, both of which can be used for ADHD. Testing would not be able to differentiate between someone taking Vyvanse form someone taking dextroamphetamine. For the drugs that you are taking, though, this would not be an issue.

If they were to test for Seroquel, it would common;y be detectable for about 5-7 days.

There are tests that can be done to determine whether it is urine from a male or female, but these tests also are usually not done.

In summary, then, since you ask whether they can test for these drugs, the answer is yes, this is not typically done, so there is no reason for you to be concerned about them testing for these drugs.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Will they know for how long I've been taking the medicine (let's say a month or 2 months exactly) and will they know the dosage that I'm taking?

If they did a test for these drugs, it would not be able to say the duration of treatment or the dose.

The system informed me that you wanted a phone call, but there was a processing difficulty that the staff was going to address, but it has been over an hour. If there is any further information that would be helpful, I would be glad to continue the discussion in the Q&A format.