Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

I had what emergency room doc diagnosed as a gall bladder

Customer Question

I had what emergency room doc diagnosed as a gall bladder attack two nights ago. Last 1.5 hours and was a pain level of 10. I have felt weak and almost fluish since then. Tonight I am bloated. Only thing I have eaten today is a salad with skinless chicken in it and a peanut butter and jelly sandwich on toast.
Now I feel bloated - 4 hours after the sandwich.
I have appointment to see my gp on Tuesday.
Is it normal to feel weak, sleepy and bloated at this point?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 4 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love and I will be assisting you today.

It is common for someone with gallbladder disease to feel weak, sleepy, and bloated. These symptoms are not unique to gallbladder disease. The weakness and sleepiness are non-specific responses to any significant infection, while bloating is common with a variety of abdominal infections. So, it would be difficult to diagnose gallbladder disease based solely on these symptoms, but with the recent severe pain that was found to be due to gallbladder disease, it is reasonable to consider that these symptoms are due to the gallbladder disease.

The extent and severity of symptoms associated with gallbladder disease can vary widely. Some people can feel far more sick, and may be so severely ill that it is necessary to be admitted to the hospital for IV antibiotic. For someone with less severe symptoms, including those in whom the acute pin has somewhat subsided, and being treated with oral antibiotics, it would be common for some of the symptoms to still be present two days later, and that can include weakness, sleepiness, and bloating.

It may take several days for oral antibiotics to make a significant reduction in symptoms, and it commonly may take a week or so for the symptoms to resolve more completely. Some people may have some persistent nagging pain that persists until the patient undergoes surgery.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** This is very helpful and puts my mind at east about the symptoms I am having.I appreciate your help.

You are most welcome. I hope that you feel better soon.

If I have answered all your questions, please remember to provide a positive rating so that I am credited for assisting you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I rate Dr. Love very highly. He answered my question very clearly, and with excellent coverage of the topic. I would consult him again, without question.

Thank you for the positive comments, but the rating is not fully done until you check the applicable rating system, which can be a 5-star rating system or smiley face rating system that should be above or below the field in which you type your comments.

If you would like to direct a future question to me, it can be done through my profile at