Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

How does rabies vaccination last in humans

Customer Question

How long does rabies vaccination last in humans
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 5 months ago.

Well it has been estimated that once you get vaccinated against rabies the immunity lasts for atleast 10 years. There has been evidence of immunity lasting for 25 years in some cases however 10 years is the agreed upon number generally speaking. WHO recommends that in patients who have been previously vaccinated, if they are exposed to rabies once again, only booster doses are given on day 0 and day 3. No rabies immunoglobulins are used in this case. So basically the vaccination can last for 10 years however booster doses are used if previously vaccinated patients are exposed again.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Why would you need a booster if it last for 10 years

That is because while the antibodies are present in the system, WHO has found that the effects are boosted conferring added protection against rabies if the booster shots are given. Essentially a safety net.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok thanks do we do not have to worry for ten years from the shot

No, Unless you actually get bitten by a rabid dog, cat etc in that case it is recommended as i said to get a booster dose. NOT the whole course or the immunoglobulins, just a booster for a safety net.