Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

My daughter is 16 years old. She put a tampon in this

Customer Question

My daughter is 16 years old. She put a tampon in this morning at 9am and it is now 4pm. She can't find it. I told her to put her finger in and see if she could feel it and she says she feels something but is not sure what it is. I have looked and don't see it as well. I tried calling my obgyn for advice but the office is closed and because she has not been seen there they will not tell me what to do.
What should we do?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 5 months ago.

This is Dr. David

you can help her try to get it out if she can't get it out

here are some instructions

First, relax and reassure yourself that if there is any stuck tampon within your daughter, then it is within her vagina and no where else. Wash your hands with soap and water. Also, be careful not to use fingers with long nails to manipulate her vagina as this might lead to injury and vaginal infections. Take a comfortable position.

have her bear down as though wanting to have a bowel movement. This applies pressure on the vagina from above and may push down any tampons towards the entrance of the vagina. Insert your finger gently into the vagina.

The index finger is often used but you can use the middle finger if necessary. Reach as far as you can and try to feel your cervix. Do not mistake it for a tampon! When you are not pregnant, the cervix feels like the tip of your nose. Just behind the cervix is a little pouch that can be a good hiding place for a tampon. You may use one finger to search around the cervix, sweeping it around its head into the spaces around it. If you find the tampon, you may have to insert the second finger so that you use both fingers to grab the tampon and gently pull it out. You may bear down during the searching process to help bring any tampon closer.

this can help get that tampon out for her.

let me know if you have other questions.