Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

I'm going in surgery I am a 26 year old female I just got my

Customer Question

Hi I'm going in for cosmetic surgery I am a 26 year old female I just got my blood work done but my results read that my rbc was high 5.39 and my Mcv was low 77 and my mch was 25.4 will the plastic surgeon still operate on me is this too serious ?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 4 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love and I will be glad to assist you today.

These levels of lab tests would usually not be a reason to cancel or delay plastic surgery.

The issue that would be most of concern for surgery would be whether this is a spurious elevation of the RBC count because of dehydration. When there is less fluid in the system, then the count of red blood cells in the volume of blood tested will be falsely elevated. So it would be prudent to be drinking plenty of fluids on the days leading up to the day of surgery. On the day of surgery, you should follow the instructions regarding diet and restriction of oral intake, but if you are well hydrated when oral intake is restricted, then you will be in better position for surgery.

Although thee are not at a level to interfere with surgery, it is appropriate to consider the reason for these lab results. Since you are likely still menstruating, there are certain conditions that can cause an elevation in red blood cells that may not be manifested in women while they are losing blood on a monthly basis. For example, there is a condition that is a benign overgrowth of red blood cells, called polycythemia vera. This level of RBC is not at a level that would make the diagnosis, but the monthly menstruation may keep the blood from accumulating excessively.

A low MCV is suggestive of a low amount of iron, which is also common in women that are menstruating, but you are obviously not anemic from the low iron.

It would be appropriate to discuss these labs with your primary care doctor. Your doctor may choose to first repeat the labs after a period of good fluid intake. But further evaluation may include an iron profile or a test for a common mutation that is the usual cause of polycythemia vera.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't have a primary doctor here at home yet I am flying out to Guadalajara with a doctor that was referred so I had the blood work done at a walk in lab will you be kind to review my results with me to see if everything is in order just in general health wise
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I just now sent in my whole lab results to you in a picture form in a file

Everything else on the labs are completely normal, so there are no other health issues. Even the mild elevation in RBC would not be an issue except that it is occurring in a menstruating woman that may be iron deficient, which raises the question of whether it would be higher if the iron levels were better.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am good to go then ? And I do not have any serious problems good to hear thanks so much for your time

Yes, you are good to go.

You are very welcome.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm sorry before I you go I am actually not menstruating now and haven't for the past two months I am not pregnant I am irregular is normal then
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
For the blood work to be with levels it is now

Iron levels from menstruation are affected by menstruation over years, so the issue is the same in a woman that has not had a period for a couple months. You will not become iron deficient in 2-3 months of regular periods, and if iron deficient, the absence of periods for 2-3 months will not correct iron deficiency.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Good to hear thanks once again

You are most welcome.