Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

I woke up in the middle of the night like normal. when I

Customer Question

I woke up in the middle of the night like normal. when I went to go back to bed I went to lie down and felt very anxious. I felt like my heart was racing although it was not. I got up and took some deep breaths and it wouldn't go away. Both of my arms are a little weak as well. I had surgery 10 days ago, hernia repair and I'm afraid that it's maybe a side effect of that? I don't know if it's something I should wake a family member up about?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 5 months ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Now if you do have sensation of palpitations then it can be due to the heart such as heart arrhythmias. These are abnormal rapid heart rhythms which can cause other symptoms like dizziness, lightheadedness, shortness of breath, chest pain etc. if there are these symptoms as well then you should get an EKG done to have this ruled out.

Another cause of this can be related to a low blood glucose level which can cause these symptoms as well as the weakness. This can be corrected with the help of intake of something sweet like juice etc, you can drink that and see if that helps.

Sometimes you could also be suffering from acid reflux which can cause these sort of symptoms. This can also cause burning in the chest, metallic taste in the mouth, bloating etc. This would be effectively treated with the help of simple OTC prilosec.

Lastly anxiety can also cause symptoms like these and these would need to be controlled with the help of relaxation techniques. If that doesnt work then you would need anxiolytics to control the problem.

Now considering that you do have weakness in the limbs as well as a sensation of a rapid heart beat, i would suggest that you do wake up a family member and try taking some deep breaths and other relaxation techniques. if that isnt working then you should get an EKG done to be on the safe side by visiting urgent care.

Do you have any more questions?Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have inappropriate sinus tachycardia that I take medication for as well. I'll try the juice and if that doesn't help I'll wake someone up. Thank youGina

Youre welcome, if you do have sinus tachycardia then you should get an EKG done if the juice doesnt work. And do wake someone up, someone should be around if this gets worse.

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
okay. I also have diarrhea now. maybe it's possible I just have a bug?

Considering the diarrhea which is a new symptom, it is possible but i would still want an EKG done nonetheless given your past history of tachycardia and your medication for it. If the diarrhea is watery and contains blood or mucusin it then you will need antibiotics for it. If not then stay hydrated as much as your can and stick to the BRAT diet which consists of bananas, rice, applesauce and toast.