Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

My pressure is 151/106, Slight headache past two days now,

Customer Question

My pressure is 151/106
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Any other symptoms?
Customer: Slight headache for the past two days now
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I'm hiv positive
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 4 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

If your blood pressure is consistently running 151/106, it is at a level at which it should be treated. The usual goal of treatment is to get the blood pressure down to 140/90, although in the elderly, it is recommended to only lower the blood pressure to 150/90.

If this is the first that you have been discovered to have elevated blood pressure, it is appropriate for your doctor to look for any illness that may be causing secondary hypertension, but this is true for only a small minority of patients. If that evaluation is negative, then the treatment is oriented directly to the blood pressure.

There are certain lifestyle changes that are recommended to help control elevated blood pressure, including eating a healthy diet, avoiding added salt in the diet, getting regular aerobic exercise, and achieving or maintaining ideal body weight. However, most people with a blood pressure of 151/106 will also need medicines to get adequate control of the blood pressure, so it is appropriate to see your doctor for prescription of blood pressure medicine. There are several different blood pressure medicines that can be considered, and the usual approach is to also consider any other medical conditions that are present when deciding upon which medicine to use.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

You are most welcome.