Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Experience:  20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine

I'm just wondering if I have surgery sleep apnea, and then

Customer Question

I'm just wondering if I have surgery for my sleep apnea, and then go through fertility treatment and possibly a pregnancy, if that pregnancy weight gain will ruin the work done in my throat surgery. I have been trying to get pregnant on and off for 10 years, just got into a fertility clinic for September 1st and got a call today that I can have my apnea surgery Septmeber 29th if I want as I'm next on the waitlist. I was just told any weight gain after surgery can erase the all the work done in that surgery. I feel no better on cpap, I actually feel I am getting worse. I also worry as on my first two attempts at fertility treatment, I gained a ton of weight due to the medications I was put on, and I was only pregnant once for 6 weeks, gained almost 30 pounds-it was ridiculous. I just feel like my health is so poor, my body is already shutting down, so I wouldn't likely be able to carry a baby to term without surgery. I have no idea what to do.
JA: Sorry that you're dealing with throat issues. Luckily, the doctors and specialists are on call 24/7 to get you answers and put you on the road to recovery
Customer: I am also struggling still with post partum depression from my miscarriage, still, 6 months later, and I had severe depression and anxiety before that due to 10 years of undiagnosed sleep apnea. I have unknowingly been waking up 30 times an hour, when I thought I was sleeping, since 2008, and I'm now losing my short and long term memory, I can't make it through a full work day without crying and having major depressive episodes, I have no energy ever, severe social anxiety, and I'm basically ready to check into a mental health facility, because I no longer have any kind of mental capacity for dealing with stress. I literally feel like my apnea is slowly killing me, and now to fix it, I have to give up my dream of having kids. I feel like there is no help out there, I have been switching doctors for over 10 years trying to find help and I'm not getting anywhere.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: All the family doctors I have gone to just put me on anti-depressants and sleeping pills, which always make me worse-each time I try the medication, I become even more depressed than I was with no medication, and it becomes much worse, I become suicidal every single time as that's how depressed the medication makes me feel.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 4 months ago.

Hi there. You should address your sleep apnea as soon as you reasonably can, as good sleep is the foundation of feeling well and staying well. The weight gain your doctors are concerned about would be long term weight gain, not the temporary weight gain of pregnancy (assuming you are able to get the weight off after delivery).