Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine

I am still coughing 4 days after a zpck and am on predisone.

Customer Question

I am still coughing 4 days after a zpck and am on predisone. My chest is rattling and I am feeling worse. Wondering if I should take another zpack
JA: How long have you been dealing with the cough? Are you having any other symptoms?
Customer: No other symptoms other than nose congestion and the cough for over 9 days
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: seasonal asthma and allergies.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 4 months ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Since you have already taken zpack and are on prednisone and still arent getting better, this means that your infection is getting worse. It is even possible that you may have developed Pneumonia. It is possible that you might have developed a bacterial infection on top of a viral infection. What was previously bronchitis may have changed into pneumonia.

I would NOT recommend that you use another zpack, as this now requires medical attention. You need a chest xray as well as a clinical examination to determine the underlying cause. You may also need a newer antibiotic, something like Levofloxacin or Moxifloxacin. Secondly if you are also short of breath then you should immediately go to the Er to have this evaluated.

I would recommend that you contact your doctor and get this checked out ASAP and if there is severe shortness of breath, severe and persistent coughing or even fever, go to the ER or atleast the urgent care to get an xray done ASAP. Simple bronchitis should have started to improve in 9 days, while it may not clear up, it should show signs of improvement.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

Do you feel any better? Did you happen to get the xray done?