Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

No, Back right side of my tounge hurts really bad. It feels

Customer Question

JA: Have you seen a dentist about this yet?
Customer: No
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.
Customer: Back right side of my tounge hurts really bad. It feels worse as the days go by. Even more so when moving my tounge or swallowing. I had minor tonsilitid about 2 weeks ago but thats gone.
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: Not sure of how much more time to give it
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: About 1 week. It feels like it gets slowly better throughout the day but far more worse when I wake up in the morning
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dentist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Katz replied 8 months ago.

Do you have any sharp edges from broken teeth or any fractured teeth on the lower jaw that need to be repaired?

Expert:  JACUSTOMER-466n4fo7- replied 8 months ago.

Are you still there ?

If so, do you have any broken teeth near the sore area of your tongue that might be irritating it ?

Dr Shernan

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I am here. No. I do not.

Is your tongue visibly sore, red, cut or swollen ?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
When standing in front of the miror and sticking my tongue out, it is clear that the back right side of the tongue is wollen. Ig hurts when I swallow, yawn, move my tounge. Also noticed tiny red spots troughout my tounge that are painless

Can you send a picture of the sore area / spots on your tongue ?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
This is clearer. My tounge also looks pale.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

There are many possible causes for your issue, ranging from possible Vitamin deficiency to other underlying medical issues. But I think your issue falls within the category of medical, not dental. I'll re-categorize your question so that a physician can address your question.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 8 months ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Ive seen the pictures and it does seem like that the back of your tongue is swollen. Specifically the papillae of the tongue seem to be swollen. Now there are a few conditions which can cause this problem. One more thing which i noticed was that you also have a white coated tongue, this can be due to several issues.

the first thing which comes to mind after looking at the pictures is that you could have an infection of the tongue. One of the commonest infections here is Candida, it can cause swelling of the papillae as well as a whitish discoloration of the tongue. Usually this can be diagnosed on a simple clinical examination however in some cases a simple tongue scraping can be examined as well. It can be treated very easily with the help of oral nystatin drops which can clear up the infection within a week or so. Sometimes oral tablets may be needed as well.

Another cause can be a bacterial infection in which you can have worsening of swelling as well as pain. This would again be diagnosed on a clinical examination and treated with antibiotics.

Another cause of this can be acid reflux. The acid could be coming back up the throat and causing damage to the tongue, it can cause swelling and a metallic taste in the mouth. this would also cause burning in the chest, bloating, abdominal pain especially after eating and these symptoms could be worse at night. this would be treated with drugs like OTC prilosec.

Lastly this can be an indication of an underlying systemic disorder such as vitamin B12 deficiency however in that case mostly there is loss of the papillae however it can turn a tongue white. This would be diagnosed with a simple b12 level and then treated with replacement of the B12.

Now i would suggest that you schedule an appointment with a ENT physician and have him look into the above possibilities.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? If done for now, Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time