Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My blood pressure is 150 / 75and I am taking 10mg of

Customer Question

my blood pressure is 150 / 75and I am taking 10mg of Ramipril a day. Should I increase the dose?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 5 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

This is actually an area of controversy. There is some evidence that it is only necessary to lower blood pressure in the elderly to 150/90 or lower, rather than the historical goal of lowering the blood pressure to 1140/90. The latest guidelines for the US has made this recommendation, but there has been much discussion in the medical literature, with experts espousing both perspectives.

In addition to experts that support both approaches, individual doctors may also favor one approach over the other. However, it is at least clear that there is no need for you to alter the dose of the medicine on your own, and it would be fine to continue to monitor the blood pressure while taking the current dose of the ramipril.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.

If you would like my assistance with any future questions, the question cn be directed to me through my profile at www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-DrDLove/