Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine

I have opoid induced constipation I cannot find a laxative

Customer Question

I have opoid induced constipation I cannot find a laxative that will help. The pain is incredible. I also have lavtor ani
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 4 months ago.

What laxatives have you tried so far?

If you have tried the various OTC laxatives like miralax etc then i think the time has come for you to go onto prescription drugs for your constipation. This would include Amitza which is an excellent drug in managing opioid induced constipation. This drug has been very effective in managing the constipation. Another drug which can be tried is lizness which is again designed for managing constipation of this sort. A newer drug named relistor or methlynaltrexone bromide has been released whose initial results are very promising in controlling opioid induced constipation. It directly targets the cause of constipation.

Now in the meantime you should increase your intake of water to atleast 10 glasses of water each day (10z glass), increase the fiber in your diet, start using fiber supplements such as metamucil and benefiber,. If the constipation is severe right now, then i think you might even need manual evacuation of the feces which can be done in the ER or urgent care. If needed they can administer an enema as well. In the meantime use stool softeners regularly like colace and try inserting glycerine suppositiries to soften the stool which can then be passed easily.

Remember if at any time you are unable to pass gas via the rectum or develop abdominal distension, abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting then you have to immediately go to the ER and get xrays done to rule out obstruction. If the pain is unbearable right now, then you should go to the ER.

But do discuss these options with your doctor and get a prescription for one of the above medications.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,