Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.

I have been taking 30 mg of Morphine Sulfate and I am also

Customer Question

I have been taking 30 mg of Morphine Sulfate for breakthrough and I am also taking 65 mg of Morphine Sulfate ER for a while now for pain. I have noticed that the breakthrough medicine hasn't been working for me. What should I do?
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: I have chronic lower back pain. I noticed That a couple of months ago my doctor had me try Oxycodone 30 mg for breakthrough and that med seem to work better.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: Well it just seems like the breakthrough melds aren't working any more.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 4 months ago.

Hi and thanks for the query.

With opiates dependence and tolerance are two major concerns.

In your case, you have developed tolerance to the break through morphine which means that the pain has stopped responding to that particular drug in the dosage that has been prescribed for you.

The best course of action will be to visit your Pain management specialist and have him/her substitute the break through medication with something else. That will alleviate the symptoms as well as inhibit the tolerance after a while. A morphine drug holiday and substitution will reset the tolerance.

So, please visit your pain management specialist.

Let me know if you have any concerns or queries related to this.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 4 months ago.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 4 months ago.