Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine

Been coughing deeply weeks, no fever, some phlem possible

Customer Question

Been coughing deeply for 5 weeks, no fever, some phlem possible when clearing throat. Seems to be more in larynx/throat area, though at times (eg.last week) i felt the cough in bronchial (deep in chest). My doctor said to return July 11, 2016 for a checkup. I take omeprisol, have had botox shots (3 ×) about 5 years ago due to raspy voice changes-not for me. Is it time to take a serious look into Otolarynology?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 4 months ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Now there are a few conditions which can cause these symptoms. The first one which comes to mind is that these symptoms are the result of severe acid reflux. This can cause the coughing, phlegm as well as changes in voice. This would be treated with omeprazole however in some cases the dose may need to be increased to 40 mg a day or you might need a stronger medication like lansoprazole, esomeprazole or pantoprazole. An endoscopy would also be necessary to determine if there is an infection in the stomach or any inflammation.

Secondly, this can be due to a problem with the chest, persistent coughing can be indicative of asthma which commonly can present in this form. Asthma can also be associated with acid reflux as well. this can be diagnosed with a simple clinical examination as well as pulmonary function tests. The treatment can be with inhalers. A chest xray would be necessary as well.

Now regarding the throat, it is possible that there is chronic inflammation of the lining of the throat. This could be secondary to the reflux or even a primary throat pathology. Before heading to the ENT specialist as you plan to do, i would suggest visiting a local PCP who can examine you and narrow down the diagnosis and then refer you to the relevant specialist. You can go to directly to the ENT specialist but i would think other causes have to be considered as well.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,