Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I had a ct scan with contrast that showed a wedge shaped

Customer Question

I had a ct scan with contrast that showed a wedge shaped Lucency in left upper lobe.
I had a high contrast ct scan today and one of the images j was suppose to breathe out on I didn't so they want me to return to re do the 3rd image. I called the lung association and they said that the possible air trapping diminished could be emphysema . I have asthma could it be something other than emphysema my doctor didn't say anything like that .
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for your question.

Wedge shaped lucency could be due to either a small infarct that happened in the lungs due to an embolism in the past.

Does not sound likely to be anything serious.

Emphysema is a possibility as well.

I do not think it could be anything else.

I just think that they want to be sure they get the best possible pictures on the CT scan and that is all.

This session is open for any further questions that you may have.
I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end on the top right hand corner as that is the only way we, the experts, are credited on here for helping you out.
Kindest regards