Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc

4 days ago my tongue started to have a slight tingle, at

Customer Question

4 days ago my tongue started to have a slight tingle, at first i could put up with it but now the tingling has gotten to the point i can't just forget about it, my lips feel numb and it hurts to eat and sometimes to talk. when looking at my tongue in the mirror there is 2 circular shapes on the side thats tingling.
i have been to the doctors about it and he put it down to biting my tongue in my sleep but i personally don't think that the 'pain' would have lasted 4 days and i am starting to get worried.
any information that may help:
17 years old
allergic to penicillin
training vet nurse (work with animals, mostly dogs, cats and rabbits)
not on any medication (only taken nurofen zavance in the hope to get rid of the tingling)
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 4 months ago.

Well at age 17 this i not likely to be a stroke, or bell's palsy, or even trigeminal neuralgia.

Besides these, calcium imbalance can cause tingling of the tongue./

So can anxiety disorder and hyperventilation.

I think your doctor can refer you to a neurologist, which will be good to rule out serious problems.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here