Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc

There is a firm bump in the vicinity of my rectum (but not

Customer Question

There is a firm bump in the vicinity of my rectum (but not on the anus). It is sore. I have had a very soft stool several times a day and for 4 days it became diarrhea and now has become just a soft stool again. I have Parkinson's disease and this is very unusual for me as constipation is the norm. I haven't taken a stool softener for several months as it h as not been necessary. I use Miralax when necessary.
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: It became painful on Monday. I have home help and the helper must have rubbed it when cleaning me. It became painful at that time. My wife put Neosporin on it that PM and it helped so she ceased. The soft stool continues on through the night several times. We did not realize there was a bump until my wife inspected the area when I complained.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I suspect I have prostrate problems.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 4 months ago.

Don't know what you mean by in the vacinity of the rectum but not on the anus.

I assume you are talking about a hemorrhoid.

Can look at a picture here.

The typical approach would be sitting in hot baths.

keeping the stool soft

Vegetarian diet or stool softeners, or both.

Lidocain cream, or preparation H, and if it does not resolve, to the doctor.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. Also, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here