Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I was diagnosed at Mayo two weeks ago with what they believe

Customer Question

I was diagnosed at Mayo two weeks ago with what they believe to be a benign tumor on the anterior side oh my tricuspid valve. Researching, I've found these are extremely rare, but often undiagnosed.
JA: OK. The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.
Customer: I have hx of breast cancer with skin sparing bilateral reconstruction utilizing latissimus dorsi muscles. This precludes me from a minimally invasive procedure and will require open heart surgery.
JA: Do you know if your family has a history of heart disease? In general, how would you describe your health lately?
Customer: How dangerous are these tumors? The concern stated is the tumor breaking off and becoming a pulmonary embolism.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: Recently in hospital for two weeks. Dx included septicemia, bilateral pneumonia, pleurisy, anemia. For two years having SOB and chest tightness with little exercise (walking up a flight of stairs) as well as fatigue. Fatigue much worse since recent illness.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: What is the total charge before we go any further?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 8 months ago.

Hello!

It looks that the total charge listed for your question is $34....

It sounds of concern from your history that the growth on the tricuspid valve may have been related to some serious consequences as the sepsis / pneumonia ...

A growth in the heart valve may be a set up for infection within the heart ( endocarditis )

I think that surgery to remove this growth would be advised ...

That seems to be the most probable recommendation to your case but if course your case would be reviewed by a cadiovascular surgeon...

I hope that this information is helpful for you

Let me know if you have further questions or concerns I will be happy to get back with you

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback

Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Could it be related to chemotherapy?

Hello again,

I would not expect that to be the case ...removal and details of it from pathological evaluation would shed more light on the cause ... But I doubt that it was caused by chemo....