Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

What is chronic liver failure and its symptoms how can a

Customer Question

What is chronic liver failure and its symptoms how long can a person live withnit
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 5 months ago.

Chronic liver failure is complex in that the liver seves many functions. Organ failure including liver failure implies that the organ is unble to meet all of its needed functions ...

The liver has effect on blood clotting factors so more easy bleeding may be a symptom....

The liver produces the main blood protein = albumin >> the main protein within the blood steam... Too little albumin may lead to leaky capillaries ...so swelling of exremeteis or abdomen can be associated with chronic liver failure ...

A build up of ammonia is possible with this condition...too much ammonia may cause confusion...sedation ... Even coma...

The prognosis depends on the cause and severity of the condition...

Some causes may be more progressive and have a worse prognosis while others could be fairly stable ..

Cirrhosis of the liver/ chronic alcoholic hepatitis / hepatitis C / hepatitis B / metastatic cancer involving the liver / hepatocellular carcinoma are some causes and the survival would vary as to the cause and even within these causes each case may vary according the specific individual circumstances ..

I hope that this information is helpful for you

Let me know if you have further questions or concerns or discussion

I will be happy to get back with you

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback

Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD