Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine

Im a female and my girlfriend found out that she has

Customer Question

Im a female and my girlfriend found out that she has streptococcus b. I dont know how she got it but her doctor stated that you get it from oral sex. Im SO nervous! Can I catch it! Is it contagious?
JA: Is this your first time reaching out for information about this? In general, how would you describe your overall health?
Customer: I had vaginitis last mouth but I took my antibiotics but her doctor stated that she yesterday that she didn't have that but have strep b.
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should be aware of?
Customer: No that I know of but I am nervous! Does this mean that we cant be sexual with each other with our clothes off?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for your question.

Group B streptococcus (strep) is a common bacterium often carried in your intestines or lower genital tract. Group B strep is usually harmless in adults.

It is not spread by oral sex as far as my knowledge is concerned.

It is a bacteria that can be present normally in our gut and can also be present in the vagina.

It does not cause any significant disease in adults who are healthy.

However in people who are immunocompromised or in newborns it can cause a serious disease such as meningitis which is the reason why ladies who are tested positive for this bug in the third trimester must be treated for it even if they are not having any symptoms from it as it can be transmitted to the child and can cause serious problems.

In your case I would not worry whatsoever.

This session is open for any further questions that you may have.
I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end on the top right hand corner as that is the only way we, the experts, are credited on here for helping you out.
Kindest regards

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 4 months ago.

I would appreciate it if you rate me as that is the only way I am paid here by the website.

Kindest regards