Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Medicine doctor, PGCSD(dermatology)

My husband is on dialysis. He left s tight bandage on days.

Customer Question

My husband is on dialysis. He left his tight bandage on for two days. They told me today at dialysis that it could have caused a blood clot. His arm always hurts after treatment. He has a fistula. He has a bulge on the injection site tonight and is arm seems to be more painful than usual. He is on Coumadin, 3 mg on dialysis days and two on the other. His INR last test was 2.1. What do I need to do? I put a hot pack on it for five minutes. Cold pack?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer website.

Myself Dr Josh and I’m happy to help with your question today.

I am sorry to hear about your husband's health problems.

First of all you should make sure that bandage should not be too tight, because this would not let blood to circulate and it has restriced the blood flow. yes this can out him at risk for blood clot.

As he is already is on Coumadin, so chances of getting blood clot would be minimize. He would be safe.

To control swelling-

Apply an ice or cold pack right away to prevent or minimize swelling. Apply the ice or cold pack for 10-15 minutes, two or more times a day. After 48 to 72 hours, if swelling is gone, apply heat to the area that hurts.

You should elevate the affected part, this would help to decrease swelling.

In few days, he would be free from pain and swelling, which has developed after tight bandage.

Please continue with cold packs, for first 72 hours, and after 3 days, when swelling goes away, you can use heat bags.

Coumadin, would prevent him from the formation of blood clots.

He should be under doctor's observation.

Hope this helped

Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you.

Kind Regards