Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Experience:  20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine

I engaged in risky behavior with someone I didn't know being

Customer Question

I engaged in risky behavior with someone I didn't know being a drunken fool. I'm
JA: OK. The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.
Customer: im scared I might be getting symptoms of hiv. I have hard lymph nodes right under both my ears.
JA: How long have you been dealing with the ear issue? Have you had any colds or flus recently?
Customer: It's more prominent on one side. My ear drum seems out of wack on the right side and vibrates.
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should be aware of?
Customer: I had diarrhea for 4 days about 2 weeks about but then my daughter got sick and then my son all with the same issue so I don't know if that's related. I feel tension around my ear and jaw.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 4 months ago.

Hi there. Ear infections with swollen glands are far more common than HIV. Similarly, stomach flu or food poisoning are far more common. So there are multiple benign explanations for your symptoms. Also, HIV risk from a single exposure is quite low. That said, it is important that you rule out the unlikely chance of HIV by getting tested. Recommendations include getting tested at 3 weeks and 3 months at least.