Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

I'm having severe pain within my belly button and there is a

Customer Question

I'm having severe pain within my belly button and there is a cyst I just noticed today inside
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: About 2 weeks now...I'm maxed out at my pain right now. I can't get comfortable at any position. When Im sitting it gets worse
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medical
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok. I'm not sure what to do
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 4 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Is the cyst tender?

Is there any redness around the cyst or belly button?

Have you noticed any drainage?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the area in and all around my belly button is so sore and painful
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
There's no drainage that I've noticed....I'm not sure if it's even a's a lump inside of my belly button

It sounds like the cyst has gotten infected. Or if it is not a cyst, it could be an inflammatory nodule as art of the infection of the skin.

The usual treatment for a skin infection would be antibiotics. The best that can be acquired over the counter is a topical antibiotic, such as Neosporin. If the infection is more severe, then oral antibiotics would be necessary, but that would require seeing your doctor.

There also are some interventions that can be done to sooth the area. Certainly, it is fine to use any over the counter pain medicine, such as acetaminophen, ibuprofen, or naproxen. It also would be fine to apply cold compresses to sooth the area. Applying salt water compresses also would be soothing.

So, at present, it would be appropriate to apply Neosporin and the soothing interventions along with pain medicines. If it improves with these interventions, then it does not need further interventions, but if the problems persist, it would be appropriate to consider oral antibiotics, so you would need to be seen.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.