Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I'm having difficulty swallowing suddenly. It hurts to

Customer Question

I'm having difficulty swallowing suddenly. It hurts to swallow and it hurts to touch my throat. This came on suddenly and has lasted about 2 hours now. Not like a soar throat, more like something is lodged in my throat although I haven't eaten anything. It is a constant pain.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 5 months ago.

Hello

Welcome to Justanswer website.

Myself Dr Josh and I’m happy to help with your question today. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern

Are you feeling like something is struck in throat?

Is there any pain or burning sensation in upper abdomen above navel?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
it feels like something is stuck when I swallow.
No pain in upper abdomen, some pain is my chest. I keep feeling like I have to burp also.
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 5 months ago.

Dear customer

Thank you for the quick reply.

The symptoms you have described of having difficulty in swallowing since last 2 hours can be due to a condition called as globus sensation.That is persistent or intermittent sensation of feeling of lump or foreign body or something else stuck in throat.

Its most common causes are:gastroesophageal reflux disease(GERD),abnormalities of the upper esophageal sphincter,stress,psychological or psychiatric disorders.

The GERD (acid reflux) seems to be the most probable cause.Some pain in chest & burp feeling further directs towards GERD.

To get relief,take Pepto-Bismol 2tsf thrice a day after meals.Take tab.Ranitidine(Zantac) 150 mg twice a day.Both these are available as over the counter (OTC)without a prescription & will help you greatly.

If still after this,the symptoms persists.then you need to make an appointment with your doctor as you may need upper endoscopy and prescription oral medications will then be required accordingly.

Usually & most likely,the symptoms gets cleared with these above described medications.I am sure,these will help you greatly.

Hope this helped

Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Expert:  Dr Basu replied 5 months ago.

Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Sudden throat symptoms like choking sensation can be due to the underlying heart condition.

Myocardial infarction can present like this.

This needs to be checked first in the Emergency room.

Please do not neglect.
Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star on top).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Expert:  Dr Josh replied 5 months ago.

Dear customer

Is there anything else that you would like to know.,I am happy to address your follow-up questions.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Expert:  Dr Basu replied 5 months ago.

Hi there,

Please go to the ER.

If you have any question please reply here.
Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
This is the link to my profile: