DIEGO BONILLA
DIEGO BONILLA, Doctor
Experience:  Pulmonary/ Critical Care at Boston University
93381398

My son is 18 and out of the blue he has a red bluish bruise

Customer Question

My son is 18 and out of the blue he has a red bluish bruise about 6 inches wide and at the widest 4" high. the bruise/abrasion is located on his right side right at the waist line. He is 6" tall and 155# He went to a baseball game with no marks and when he came home he had the mark He only pitched at the game so it is not from sliding.
Category: Medical
Expert:  DIEGO BONILLA replied 6 months ago.

Hello

This is Dr. Diego, experienced in Internal Medicine, Pulmonary and Critical Care.

I understand your concerns. Does he have any medical conditions? Any family history of medical conditions? Any recent travel? Do you have a picture of the lesion?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
we have a picture. He has been diagnosed with an enlarged liver and and an enlarge spleenNo he has not traveled out of the country
He has adhd but has been off meds for 4 years

You can upload the picture to this conversation.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Here

When you apply pressure to the area does it disappear or not?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No

The lesion is most likely an ecchymosis also know as a bruising. Usually these lesions are seen after direct trauma to the affected area. At his young age some conditions could cause this including platelet dysfunction and coagulation problems. Some medications like aspirin can affect the platelet function and cause this problem too. He should see his PCP and have blood work done including a CBC to check for platelets and a coagulation panel. Let me know if you have any other question.