Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc

I have a condition that has been progressing four years. It

Customer Question

I have a condition that has been progressing for about four years. It has been diagnosed as ulcerative colitis by three gastroenterologists. A couple weeks ago I went to emergency thinking that I had a heart attack. It now appears to have been a probable buildup of fluid between the heart and lung. A thorough heart exam has eliminated a problem. At the time, the bloodwork demonstrated a severe kidney problem. The bloodwork results for some time have been moderately poor, and usually pointing to the lack of drinking fluids. The reason that I don't drink much is that about 90 percent of the fluids I pass are via the rectum; an apparent result of the colitis. I have never accepted this diagnosis but none of my physicians see the relationship. Last Fall I had my first kidney stone. When it disappeared, the continual pain in my lower back ceased; a condition for which I had been receiving chiropractic treatments. I don't drink alcohol and I don't smoke. Bloodwork last week showed my kidney function back to where it had been. Following the attack, within 24 hours I seemed fine. The "colitis" is my problem. Can it be connected to the kidney??? Thank you.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 4 months ago.

Ulcerative colitis is based on biopsy during colonoscopy.

It is a pathological diagnosis.

So it would not be possible to discount this and "not agree" with a pathological diagnosis.

Colitis is not caused by kidney dysfunction.

However, chronic renal failure can cause diarrhea, along with many other symptoms.

If you still have an elevated creatinine, at all, this is a serious problem in and of itself.

In addition, kidney stones, and inflammation of the kidney can be associated

with ulcerative colitis, as complications of the disease.

This would be far more likely than a kidney problem causing colitis.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here