Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Medicine doctor, PGCSD(dermatology)
6740150

My wife has been experiences pain when she breathers on her

Customer Question

my wife has been experiences pain when she breathers on her left side right under her breast. I read about Pleurisy. Can this be the cause? It has been going on 2 weeks already.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 5 months ago.

Hello

Welcome to Justanswer website.

Myself Dr Josh and I’m happy to help with your question today. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern

What is her age?

Does she has cough?

Fever?

Expert:  Dr Josh replied 5 months ago.

Hello

Welcome to Justanswer website.

What is her age?

Does she has cough?

Fever?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

she is 45. I dont hear her cough. She has no fever. Her heart checked out good. The pain is under her left breast, rib cage area. Sometimes it hurts when she bends over and twists, but usually when she breathing. It gets intense, then it subsides. it seems the pain goes up and down throughout the day, but always there.

Expert:  Dr Josh replied 5 months ago.

Dear customer

Thank you for the quick reply.

The symptoms you have described about your wife of having pain in her left side under the breast since last 2 weeks can be due to musculoskeletal problems, especially fibromyositis (muscle inflammation).

Another possibility can be of pleurisy.It is an inflammation of the pleura, the double layered membrane that covers the lung.

As she is not having any cough or fever or symptoms of infection,so pleurisy seems to be less likely cause.

Most likely this seems to be muscular inflammation.

Give her tab. Ibuprofen 400mg from the counter. It is available as OTC(over the counter) without prescription & will help her greatly in decreasing the inflammation & pain.

If still after this,the symptoms persists.then she need to make an appointment with doctor as X-ray chest,pulmonary function test and clinical examination will be done.

Usually & most likely,the pain will subside with above described medication.

Hope this helped

Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

so she would need to be dependent on these medicines?

Expert:  Dr Josh replied 5 months ago.

No she need to take these medications for few days.It will help her greatly in decreasing the inflammation & hence pain relief.

Expert:  Dr Josh replied 5 months ago.

Dear customer

Thank you for replying back.

Apply heat in the form of a warm wash cloth applied to the area for 10 minutes or so 2 or 3 times a day increase blood flow to the area allowing to subside the inflammation. This will further help in quick pain relief.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

i understand dr's want to try to relieve pain without diagnosing this. we as patients are looking to dr's to find the underlying cause of issues, not to relieve symptoms of unknown diagnosis. usually the best dr to find a diagnosis to symptoms is at the autopsy :)

Expert:  Dr Josh replied 5 months ago.

I am sorry for your disappointment.

As i said above that most likely the cause of her symptoms is musculoskeletal problems, especially fibromyositis (muscle inflammation) & anti inflammatory drugs is the best treatment to cure this.

Pleurisy is to only be considered if the symptoms persists after taking the NSAID's medication.

This is the usual line of treatment.

Expert:  Dr Josh replied 5 months ago.

Dear customer

The anti inflammatory medications will not only relieve the symptoms, it will cure the underlying cause that is inflammation of her muscle tissue.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

ok, will aleve work for this? how many milligrams?

Expert:  Dr Josh replied 5 months ago.

Dear customer

Thank you for replying back.

Yes,aleve will definitely help her.

Its initial dose is 440 mg. Follow-up doses are 220 mg every 8 to 12 hours as needed. Drink a full glass of water with each dose.

Is there anything else that you would like to know. , I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh