Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I was operated on as a child at 2. I had further operations

Customer Question

I was operated on for diastematomyelia as a child at 2. I had further operations to remove hair from my lower back aged 10/11. Im now 34... and am havin problems with my knee, first it was a suspected bone tumour now after mri the docters are saying i have a bony spur causing me issues. Is this related to my diastematomyelua
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?
Customer: Nope, i have a persistant dull ache...when climbing and descending stairs my knee feels week and painful ..
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should be aware of?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 6 months ago.

Hi and thanks for the query.

There is no relationship or evidence to suggest that Diastematomyelia is related directly to the formation of bony spurs in the knee. Bony spurs can form in any individual, usually arthritis of the knee, weak muscles of the thigh, overuse of the knee joint such as climbing stairs, hiking etc., can predispose to formation of bony spurs.

The bony spur can be alleviated once the cause has been found, if it is related to uneven pressure due to weak muscles, then strenghtening exercises along with cortisone shots in the knee can help alleviate the pain and cause resorption of the spur, in most cases, conservative treatment can help but in a few, arthroscopy (minimal access surgery) needs to be done to shave the spur off.

Please do leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.

Regards.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 6 months ago.

Let me know if you have any concerns or queries left unaddressed.

Regards.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 5 months ago.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Please do not forget to leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner.

Wish you good health