Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

What cause little pain around my last right rib . Pls note

Customer Question

What cause little pain around my last right rib .
Pls note tht i did a US since about 2 months & it was normal .
Pls also note that i jump a lot everyday as i play Skip rope workout & i play on my ABS muscle everyday as well .
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 8 months ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Now the pain which you are describing can be due to a number of conditions. the first one which comes to mind is that you could have developed Costochondritis which is a condition in which there is inflammation of the cartilage of the ribs. This would cause tenderness over the ribs as well as pain on deep breathing and on movement. The diagnosis is made clinically in most cases and the treatment can be with the help of several OTC anti inflammatory agents including ibuprofen and aleve.

Another cause of this could be a muscle spasm. The most commonest causes of muscle spasms are dehydration and electrolyte imbalances. Ifthis is the case then you would benefit from drinking additional water. Another way would be drink electrolyte rich fluids like ORS. Now apart from this you can also try using OTC medication like ibuprofen and naproxen. In some cases muscle relaxants would be very helpful like tinazidine or flexeril.

I would suggest that you try the above measures and see if that helps. If the pain doesnt resolve then you should contact your doctor for further evaluation.

Do you have any more questions?

If you are satisfied, Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars below, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks for your quick reply .
I firgot to mention that my US follow up was for a hepatic Hemangioma diagnosed incidentally since more than 2 years . The Dr told me that it was with birth & nothing to concern as it is just a blood vessels & it is benign but to make sure that it will not enlarge we can monitor it every 6 months for 2 years if it remain as it is i have to forget about it . & thanks Jesus it is very small & as it was since more than 2 years .

Well if you do have a hepatic hemangioma and the pain doesnt resolve in the next couple of days then you should geta repeat USG done just in case to look into the size once again. And also to rule out gallbladder issues.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
My last us was just 2 months & this pain i feel it since more than 3 months .

Well then the hemangioma is unlikely to be the cause but a gallbladder problem could still exist. But ONLY get the USG if the pain doesnt resolve with the above measures.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Gallbladder is normal size & no evidence of Calculi .
This result was on 28/3/2016 .
Do i need to repeat it .

As i said ONLY IF the pain doesnt resolve in the next couple of weeks, otherwise if the symptoms subside then thereis no need to repeat it

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Last follow up question
.
I feel the pain just on the last rib bone not around it . & a very few times i felt it in the left side also in my last rib bone .

Then the chances of costochondritis, my first diagnosis, are more likely. Try the remedies i advised and if they dont work then see your doctor for the prescription medication and further testing.

Are there any other questions?

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/