Nadim Al-Mubarak
Nadim Al-Mubarak,
Experience:  MD at University Hospital Case Medical Center
16855155

Last week my inr was 1.9 but this week it has. Risen to 5.4

Customer Question

JA: OK. The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.
Customer: I am visiting Colorado from the uk my range is 2-3 and, target 2.5. My dosage was 7.5 but as it was 1.9 for t.wo weeks it was increased to 8mg to increase it, but it has suddenly risen to 5.4
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should be aware of?
Customer: I'm 71 and have COPD, AAA and DVT about 2yrs ago
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Nadim Al-Mubarak replied 6 months ago.

Greetings

• INR measures the efficacy of warfarin and, for DVT, it needs to be between 2 to 3. INR is very sensitive to diet and other medication changes. Your diet must have changed during the travel resulting in this change.
  • In a situation, the warfarin needs to be held for 2 days and the INR rechecked on the third. And, accordingly, the dose is adjusted.
  • If you are taking this for a single DVT that occurred 2 years ago and you do not have a "hypercoagulable state", then the Warfarin can now be stopped. It is not a medication that needs to be taken indefinitely for this indication

If this answers your question, please complete the rating above. It's how we get credit for the service. Best wishes