Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

I am having lower back pain. Usually I can get it to work

Customer Question

I am having lower back pain. Usually I can get it to work out..Nothing is working this time. My BP is 193/120 about 30 minutes ago.I am presently taking Coreg for BP and Protonix for Stomach issues. Is there anything that I can take for the pain.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 4 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

In someone having stomach issues requiring Protonix, we would typically prefer to avoid aspirin and anti-inflammatory medicines, such as ibuprofen or naproxen. So, it is preferable to use acetaminophen as the over the counter pain medicine. If that is ineffective and the stomach is well controlled with the Protonix, then a short course of an anti-inflammatory medicine may be used, but we would prefer to use the shortest course that will control the pain.

Stronger pain medicines, such as an opiate combined with acetaminophen are also options, but would require a prescription, so would also require seeing your doctor.

It is fine to use these medicines with the local care that you are using, and it also may help to alternate between ice packs and moist heat.

The elevated blood pressure is at a dangerous level. The usual recommendation is that someone with a blood pressure over 180/110 should be checked emergently. It is also true that acute pain can increase the blood pressure, so easing the pain may also allow for the blood pressure to improve, so it would be acceptable to try a medicine for pain and see if the blood pressure improves quickly. However, if the blood pressure remains at this level, it would be appropriate to be seen emergently, regardless of the severity of the pain.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.

If you would like my assistance with any future questions, you can direct the question to me through my profile at

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks for your reply. I am working on getting the blood pressure down got it down some I know the pain has a lot to do with it even though I do have BP issues. I am trying to work through it maybe it will catch eventually I believe it may be a muscle spasm again thanks for your time

Yes, it is common for the pain to affect blood pressure to a greater extent in someone with pre-existing blood pressure problems. However, it is important to deal with the current blood pressure, including by affecting any of the various factors that may be influencing the blood pressure.

You are most welcome.