Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution
55099014

Moved into an apartment about a year ago. Concerned with the

Customer Question

Moved into an apartment about a year ago. Concerned with the cleanliness of the unit, I sprayed a bunch of Lysol throughout the apartment, and probably completely overdid it. Months later I started developing allergy like symptoms - chronic congestion, sneezing, itchy eyes, ear popping and eventually tinnitus. I was referred to an allergy specialist and while placed on immunotherapy for allergens to which I'm allergic, he mentioned exposure to chemicals can cause allergy like symptoms. Is it possible there was residual Lysol spray lingering like on the walls and carpet and caused the allergy like symptoms in me?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 6 months ago.

Thanks for this question

No, this is not possible

It would not last that long.

This chemical becomes inert quite rapidly

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave a positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Phil" in the medicine, cardiology or pharmacy categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/

Thanks for using justanswer.com

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Well I called poison control just to see what they had to say, and a representative said that the chemicals could stick to the wall and wouldn't necessarily just dissipate unless the walls were like wiped with a wet towel. And I did live in the apartment for approximately 10 months following this initial spray. Theoretically, could they have been there the entire time?

Yes, they could have but they become inert rapidly

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
regardless if they stuck to the walls, the chemicals would have become inactive in a sense after some time?

exactly