Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

I have been having left lower quadrant pain since the middle

Customer Question

I have been having left lower quadrant pain since the middle of January. I have taken Cipro & Clindamycin for 10 days. Had a few days off, but the pain got worse so I was then put on Cipro & Flagyl for 10 days. Had the pain get worse again, so another 10 days of Cipro & Flagyl. During this time, the pain became so bad that I made 3 trips to the ER. They did blood work, took Ct scan pictures & found resolving diverticulitis. I still have the LLQ pain. It ranges from a 4 to a 5 on the scale. My doctor has recommended that I see a gastroenterologist. I am having a hard time getting in to see one. How aggressive should I be about getting in to see one?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 6 months ago.

Hello

You should be very aggressive.

The question here is why the difficulty resolving the diverticulitis.

You have to make sure there is not something found on colonoscopy.

Such as polyps, cancer, etc.

So, if you have not had a clean colonoscopy in the last 10 years, this needs to be arranged.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/