Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Medicine doctor, PGCSD(dermatology)

When I am having a bowel movement I get severe pain as it

Customer Question

When I am having a bowel movement I get severe pain as it goes thru the lower part of my stomach. Is this one thing I should be concerned about. It has only been the last few days that I have experienced this.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer website.

Myself Dr Josh and I’m happy to help with your question today. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern

Do you suffer from constipation?

Have you noticed blood mixed with stool?

Have you felt lump/ swelling near rectum?

Do you get pain in lower abdomen at time pf passing stool?

Are you on any medications?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No constipation no blood in stools. It just started the last few days and the pain is very strong where I feel it moving thru and almost pass out when it finally exits. I am on several medications the newest is vitamin magnizium and Nexium
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for all these additional details.

I am sorry to hear about your problems.

Well, it could be related with any of these conditions-

1. Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).

2. Anal Fissures.

3. Hemorrhoids.

An anal fissure is a cut or tear in the lining of the anus that causes severe and sharp pain during and after bowel movements.

IBS is associated with pain/discomfort with start of bowel movements that occur more or less often than usual.

Exact cause is still not known, but few determining factors can be considered such as-

-Bacterial infection or irritation of the stomach and intestines caused by bacteria. This condition may start all of a sudden in few days. A stool culture test would be diagnostic.
-Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO)
-Slow motility
-Food sensitivity

You can treat it with healthy and balanced diet along with medications.
You need to take Psyllium, it is a natural vegetable fiber.
Sometime milk products worsen the condition, if you have any symptoms from them, then avoid it.
Also stress aggravate it, so practice yoga and meditation. Also you need to go for breathing exercises, for relaxation. Avoid anxiety and stress.

You should avoid processed foods. These may contain 'resistant starch' which is difficult for your body to digest.

You should Cut down on foods rich in insoluble fiber, such as wholemeal bread, wholegrain rice and cereals containing bran.

You should avoid foods such as beans, cabbage, or uncooked cauliflower or broccoli.

You need to be prescribed with Antispasmodic medicines such as mebeverine hydrochloride (eg Colofac)alverine citrate.
The prescription medications approved for the treatment of IBS are-

Alosetron (Lotronex),Lubiprostone (Amitiza).Medications that affect certain activities of the autonomic nervous system (anticholinergics)are very effective in relieving the abdominal pain or stomach ache.

Also Getting regular, vigorous exercises, will make bowel movements regular.

Sometimes doctor prescribe - Anti anxiety or anti -depressants drugs, These can also cure the symptoms.
Proper dietary control should be done. Best bet it - get your diet schedule managed from dietitian.

I suggest you to consult your doctor, discuss this issue and get appropriate management.

Hope this helped

Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Expert:  Dr Josh replied 4 months ago.

Do you have any follow up questions?

Thank you