Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years

Thank you answer. Yes, they've tested my thyroid and raised

Customer Question

Hi Doctor, thank you for your answer. Yes, they've tested my thyroid and raised the meds last year. Synthroid .88 for 4 days and .75 for three and still there is no change with the weight gain, hair loss and extreme fatigue and I went back for a re-test in 3 months and my gp said as long as my levels are within the guidelines I don't have a probelm. I made an appt. with an endocrinologist and had my gp fax over my thyroid results and he refused to see me after looking at the results, he told me to go back to my gp. So very frustrated. I will go back to my gp next week and see what he says but I'm very frustrated with him, he just keeps telling me I'm old. He thought the sleep study would help but all it did was cost me a fortune. I am so frustrated now.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 4 months ago.

This is Dr. David

I am sorry you are having symptoms of weight gain, hair loss and fatigue

at your age of 49, you most likely are going through early menopause and decline of your estrogen levels which can cause weight gain, hair loss, fatigue, irregular periods, hot flashes

it may not be your thyroid hormone levels causing these symptoms.

you should talk to your GP doctor about options for hormone replacement therapy if you have gone through menopause or are going through menopause.

you may benefit from a bit of estrogen therapy or going on birth control pills to help bring up your estrogen levels which could help your symptoms.

regular exercise could also help you loose weight and have more energy and sleep better as well.

improving your diet and eating healthier foods can help you loose weight and could give you more energy.

your doctor can also refer you to talk to a nutritionist to help improve your diet.

so you have several options which can help.

are you on a birth control pill currently?

have you tried to exercise regularly?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I've been on HRT for menopause since 2008 same levels of estrogen and progesterone without any weight gain, then all of a sudden in 2014 I started having these problems. They keep checking levels saying I'm within the guidelines and I'm trying to tell them that "one size doesn't fit all" and they can clearly see the weight gain and the loss of hair. I fall asleep at my desk all day long and I don't have apnea.

I see. you may need a higher level of estrogen therapy

your ovaries could have been making some estrogen before

but now at age 49, they may not be making any at all which could be lower than what you are use to.

you also need your ferritin and B12 and vitamin D levels checked as well.

it must be frustrating that the endocrinologist won't see you

how about your ob/gyn? are they willing to see you and consider increasing the estrogen level in your HRT?

there are some risks with higher estrogen levels. it can cause increase risks for blood clots and breast and uterine cancer if used for longer periods of time

your doctors may ask you to sign a waiver not to sue them if you get uterine cancer or breast cancer from long term higher dose HRT

do you have any other questions?