Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

My mom has HPV precancerous cell in her cervix plus stomach

Customer Question

My mom has HPV precancerous cell in her cervix plus stomach nausea all the time supposedly unrelated. Could it be related? signs are vague for stomach cancer and sounds like it could also be an ulcer that causes cancer. no cancer in family. Relatively healthy mom except this. She has an HMO but us seeing docs. Im concerned and wondering if I should push for her to pay out of pocket to see someone ASAP.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 4 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

The nausea would be unrelated to the HPV precancerous cells in her cervix. These precancerous cells will typically not cause any symptoms, but if symptoms are going to occur, it would only be local symptoms in the cervix/vagina.

It is true that there are cancers that can cause nausea, but these cancers would be unrelated to the precancerous cells in the cervix. And the cancers that can cause nausea are no more likely to happen in women with HPV precancerous cells in the cervix.

You are correct that nausea can be due to stomach and other cancers. However, nausea can be caused by many different conditions, and it is ultimately found to be due to cancer in only a minority of people that present with nausea. If someone has nausea of short duration, it is most often due to infectious diseases and if there are no other symptoms, it will usually resolve spontaneously But if someone has persistent nausea, it would be appropriate for her doctor to evaluate for the cause of the nausea. Even if it is from a benign condition, it is appropriate to find and treat the cause of the nausea. And this evaluation will also identify the minority of people in whom it is due to cancer. If her current doctor is not willing to perform an evaluation to determine the cause of the nausea, then it would be appropriate for her to see another doctor, either within the HMO or a separate doctor.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Dr D love,
Thanks for response. Response rather vague. My mom is seeing a specialist but HMOs move sloooow. I am wondering if I should make her see someone else out of pocket. constant nausea for 3-4 months that feels better after drinking ensure or eating crackers, better in the morning. Sounds like an ulcer but info is rather vague. Should I push her to have endoscopy next week rather than 6 weeks? need more info on possible condition. Can you provide?

You asked whether it could be related to the precancerous cells, and the answer to that is not vague. It is not related.

Since you are now asking what could be causing the nausea, then yes, the answer will be vague, because there are literally hundreds of different conditions that can cause nausea. Essentially every condition that affects internal organs of the chest and abdomen can cause nausea. These are more often benign conditions, such as acid irritation or inflammation, but cancer arising in any of these organs can also cause nausea. It also can occur from various neurologic conditions because there is a portion of the brain that controls nausea. It can be related to conditions of the inner ear. It can be related to various metabolic and endocrine disorders. It is also a common side effect to any medicine (even medicines for nausea can rarely cause nausea).

It is certainly true that the acid irritation syndromes of the upper GI tract are common causes of chronic nausea, and this can be manifested as gastritis, ulcers, or acid reflux. Most people with nausea of 3-4 month duration do not need an urgent endoscopy, but if the symptoms are more severe, then an urgent endoscopy would be appropriate.