Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

Having some problems with incredible weight gain, losing

Customer Question

Having some problems with incredible weight gain, losing hair and extreme sleepiness. Diagnosed with slow thyroid in 2005 and have been slightly adjusted on pills over that time. Also on HRT pills as I went into menopause in 2008 and have been on the same script since then. Doctor gave me a script to get sleep study and went thru the entire thing and I don't have apnea. I am getting to the point where I cannot function anymore. I've not changed my diet in 10 years, under 700 calories a day, no sugar, no carbs. Can't really exercise due to huge back problems. I do go to work every day. My doctor keeps telling me to get my hair done or go swimming and I am so mad. Made an appt. with thyroid specialist but he canceled because he said I should go back to my original doctor. I am 49 years old and I'm tire of being told to exercise more and cut back. I know my thyroid is off, I fall asleep at my desk all day long. HELP.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 1 year ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms.

Well the symptoms which you are describing are clearly indicative of hypothyroidism. The first thing which should be done here is to get your thyroid function tests done as soon as possible. They will clearly indicate if your thyroid is off or not. Secondly i would suggest that you get a full thyroid panel done which includes TSH, T3 and T4 levels. This would indicate the exact nature of the problem. If you are on synthroid or levothyroxine for the thyroid issue, sometimes there is a problem in conversion of t4 (levothyroxine) into the active form of the hormone which is t3. If this is the case here then you would benefit from changing your drugs to something like armour thyroid.

But the solution here is to visit an endocrinologist and have him look into this matter. if the thyroid has been eliminated as a cause, then they should look into other hormonal issues such the possibility of you having cushings syndrome. this is a condition in which you have weigt gain alongwith a moon like facial appearance. This occurs due to increased production of steroids in the body and can be detected with specific tests. Again an endocrinologist is needed.

the best solution here is to visit another endocrinologist and have him run these tests.

Do you have any more questions?

If you are satisfied, Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars below, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating.

Would you like to know anything else? If you are satisfied, Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars below, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating.