Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Medicine doctor, PGCSD(dermatology)
6740150

I have lost my taste and smell. Can i do anything to recover

Customer Question

I have lost my taste and smell. Can i do anything to recover it? Please answer me.
Many thanks. Claire
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 6 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer website.

Myself Dr Josh and I’m happy to help with your question today.

Such loss of smell and taste is due to underlying cause and should be evaluated by doctor.

Possible causes are-

-Chronic sinus infection.
-Nasal polyps
-Nasal allergic condition.
-Deficiency of Vitamin B-12 and zinc levels.
-Neurologic condition.

If you take medications like- beta blockers and angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors, then it could be related with side effects of such drugs.

Sometimes loss of taste and smell contributes to depression.

Many nasal and sinus conditions and dental problems can be treated as well.

Your doctor may advise CT scan of the sinuses to rule out any pathology. Also blood tests have to be done for diagnosis.
It has been shown that zinc and vitamin supplements helps to restore both taste and smell to some extent so you can take zinc lozenges once a day as well as vitamin b complex tablets too once daily.You should avoid alcohol and smoking.

You can take Ginger. You can Chew small pieces of raw ginger at regular intervals and Mix ½ teaspoon of finely chopped ginger and a pinch of rock salt. Consume it 30 minutes before having your meals every day for a couple of weeks.

Steam inhalation can help regain your smelling and tasting power, if the cause is nasal congestion.

The citrus smell and flavor of lemon juice can help restore your smelling and tasting power.

You can use Castor Oil . You can Warm some castor oil in a microwave for a few seconds and Put 1 drop of the warm oil in each nostril. It would be helpful.

I suggest that you should consult ENT doctor so that tests are done, and accordingly you will be advised management.

Good luck and take care.

Hope this helped

Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh