Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.

Finger wound left hand 1st digit, broken drill bit across

Customer Question

Hi there, finger wound left hand 1st digit, broken drill bit across the top of second to third bend. It is to the bone. The cut is a little jagged but after X-ray, was told that there were no foreign fragments but had crack and chipped the bone. The chips are small and all fragment where removed. The wound was not stitched just tapped. This is the second day I work for myself as a boat builder and can not afford to take more than 3/4 days off. Can you please give me some advice on looking after it and a few tip on how to strap it for work.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 4 months ago.

Hi an welcome.

Please attach a photo of the wound so that i can help you better.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sorry I don't have one here and my phone is at work. Plus it kills to take the dressing off.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 4 months ago.

Hi and thanks for the query.

Depending on how the edges were approximated, it can take up to 10 to 15 days for such a wound to heal. Your doctor must have given you a script for antibiotics and pain killers. I would suggest that you keep taking those medications very religiously and get the dressing changed every 2nd day. Keep the injured hand elevated above the level of the heart and do not let the dressing get wet. If you have to work with or around wet surfaces, then wrap a lamination sheet or a water proofing layer over the dressing.

This is all that you have to do. A doctor should evaluate the wound on the 5th day, since that is the time the wound can start to get infected.

If all is okay by the 5th day, it will be safe to say that the wound will heal uneventfully in its course.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 4 months ago.

Let me know if you have further questions,

Please do not forget to leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner.

Best wishes.