Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

My right foot has been swollen now, it started as a gout

Customer Question

My right foot has been swollen for 2months now, it started as a gout diagnosis, but now my uric levels are normal, but on the side of my big toe is very swollen and has turned black, the toe next to the big toe is red, tender and swollen to the point where I cannot bend it, cannot wear shoes on the right foot for over 2months
JA: OK. The Doctor will need to help you with this. Is there anything else the Doctor should be aware of?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

Hi there.
Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. SH and will be helping you out with your concerns today.

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

Can you please attach a picture or two here for me to have a look at and to be able to give you a better opinion.
Thank you

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

Also mention your age and gender?

Mention if you have any other medical problems?

On any medications for anything at the moment?

Please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have a picture to send....age 55...female...on blood pressure meds, but under control recent bp 110/76
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

Have you previously had high uric acid levels?

Uric acid levels can be normal with gout and the normal levels in themselves do not rule out gout actually.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what is causing the longevity of the swelling issue, was diagnosed as gout, with uric acid level above a reading of 12, but just this past Friday ua level below 6
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

When there is an episode of gout the levels drop.

So dropping levels do not necessarily mean that you do not have gout.

I think this certainly is gout considering your previous history.

Raised uric acids are a life-long problem and can lead to episodes of gout throughout life.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you saying that even though my uric acid level is normal the swelling will still persist
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is this session over?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the late response.

I was away for a while.

Yes, what I am saying is that this is still gout that you are having.

The swelling will improve in two to four weeks time.

If your swelling and pain is severe you will likely require a short course of oral steroids or steroid injection into the joint which is swollen.

This session is open for any further questions that you may have.
I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end on the top right hand corner as that is the only way we, the experts, are credited on here for helping you out.
Kindest regards

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

Kindest regards