Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

My husbands heart rate is 42. Is that cause ? : There is no

Customer Question

My husbands heart rate is 42. Is that cause for concern?
JA: Do you know if your family has a history of heart disease? In general, how would you describe your health lately?
Customer: There is no history of heart disease. He did have his appendix removed three days ago. Good health overall
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.
Customer: What do you need to know?
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should be aware of?
Customer: He has a little redness around the incisions,but no fever or pain, He had it checked this morning, and they mentioned pvh.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 6 months ago.

Hello

It is a concern if it is new.

Or, if he has symptoms.

If he is on a beta blocker or calcium channel blocker , this might be the reason.

I suggest he have an EKG today if this is more than one reading.

Since he just had surgery, is is somewhat more likely to have a heart block condition develop.

This needs to be looked into, we can not examine him, take him to the ER or urgent care.

And if he is normally not this low, then this is even more concerning.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/