Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine

I am undergoing some extreme stress at work. I use Xanax 0.5

Customer Question

I am undergoing some extreme stress at work. I use Xanax 0.5 mg po daily x 2. This is not enough to keep me functional. I also use ambien to help me sleep. I have a number of health problems ranging from insulin dependent diabetes, HTN, coronary artery disease, osteoarthritis. aI am on an insulin pump and use a base rate of 2 units per hour
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 4 months ago.

Im sorry to hear about your situation. Well if Xanax doesnt seem to be working for you, you can have your doctor switch you to another benzodiazepine like lorazepam for instance. However in most anxiety disorders, it is a combination of treatments which work rather than only medication. You should consider using cognitive behaviour therapy which is helpful in managing stress/anxiety. However if medications are to be used, pregabelin has been found to be useful in managing anxiety in those patients where drugs like cymbalta arent working.

In order to manage the current stress that you are under, you should consider the CBT i mentioned above or the dose of xanax can be increased IF deemed necessary by your doctor. DO NOT increase the dose of xanax without consulting your doctor. The only disadvantage with using xanax is that it can be habit forming and can result in addiction to benzodiazepines. That is why xanax is usually a short term solution while the other drugs like cymbalta or venlafaxine are added to control the problem.

So in summary, you have a few options here,

1) Have your doctor increase the dose of xanax (IF he feels this is the best course of action)

2) Consider using lorazepam instead of xanax

3) Consider starting on CBT

4) Discuss using pregabelin for your situation

The best thing to do here would be to discuss these options with your doctor and proceed from there.

Do you have any more questions?

If you are satisfied, Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars below, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating.