Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I have had pain in my piriformis muscle past 6 mos. I had

Customer Question

I have had pain in my piriformis muscle for the past 6 mos. I had physical therapy for a month with improvement but not long lasting. Since I am 76 I
JA: OK. The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.
Customer: Continued) thought I had sciatica. The orthopedic doctor didn't want to recommend an MRI since she felt it was degeneration. I am in physically good shape(exercise 4X a wk.) I'm thin & eat healthy. Other than HRT I am not on any prescription drugs.
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should be aware of?
Customer: Rheumatic fever at age 5 with result of a moderate leak in my
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 6 months ago.

Hi and welcome.

I would recommend you to visit pain physician for thorough examination and a steroid and local anesthetic shot into the muscle, this would decrease inflammation in the muscle so release of pressure on sciatic nerve and this would improve your symptoms in the long run.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 6 months ago.

Please do not forget to leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner.

Wish you good health.

Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 6 months ago.

Hello

I have a different answer.

You need an MRI at this point.

Your doctor should do this since conservative therapy has failed.

Injections at this point would simply be treating blindly.

This indeed could be a disc problem.

I am a double board certified US doctor.

Please click a positiverating.

Expert:  Dr Chaithanya replied 6 months ago.

Hello

I'm Dr Chaithanya attending you

First of all, I'm sorry for your condition

Not to contradict other doctor's opinions, but I have seen patients doing wonders with Physiotherapy.

No steroid, No anaesthetic, No MRI.

You got improvement with Physiotherapy

That means to say it is effective treatment for you

Please continue Physiotherapy for few months, and see the drastic improvement

In Physiotherapy, initial results are late, but when you start getting results, you should continue it. Later when you get total improvement. The Physiotherapist will teach you the exercises that should be continued at home.

This is the only method which can strengthen your muscles. You can continue pain killers along with Physiotherapy, which can hasten the results

Please leave a positive rating at the top right corner of the page

Any bonus, I appreciate

Hi, Did you happen to see the answer, if so can I request for a positve rating, so that I'm compensated for the time.

Thanks for that!
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 6 months ago.

Wish you good health.