Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

I've had shingles past five weeks and my doctors said I had

Customer Question

I've had shingles for the past five weeks and my doctors said I had a severe case, from my spine to my belly on the left side at least ten inches wide in places. This rash is finally healing but it seems I might have something coming out on my right thumb. Started almost 10 days ago, severe pain on the left side of my upper thumb, now moving to where my thumb and palm meet. Red and painful spots/line, nothing breaking the skin. Is this possible, could I have this in another place this quickly? I did take an anti-viral starting twelve hours after first lesions showed up on torso. Been on Norco, Gabapentin (still taking three times per day) and now prescribed Tramadol. I'm an addictions counselor so very concerned about pain meds. Anyway, do I need to be seen by a doctor today or do I just need to let this run its course like I've been doing with this awful thing! I'm on a plane tomorrow morning doing an intensive program for patients at a treatment center in California. Need to be my best. Thank you for your help. Ann *
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 6 months ago.

Hi Ann,

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Now from what you are describing it is possible that you might have developed anoher outbreak of shingles on the thumb and the palm however it is equally likely that this is an unrelated rash and can be due to another viral infection or even a bacterial infection. This would have to be examined to determined by a complete physical examination followed by tests if necessary.

If you have a picture that would be helpful in diagnosing the problem. Now since you have again started on antivirals it is important to confirm whether this is another outbreak of shingles or not because if it is then you would have to continue the therapy for another 14 days.

In the meantime you do need to continue on gabapentin atleast because of the possibility of developing post herpetic neuralgia in which you would have shooting or even stabbing pain in the region where your previous rash had developed.

I would suggest the following,

1) Do see your doctor ASAP to get this diagnosed

2) Discuss with him the need for anti viral therapy

3) Dont stop using the gabapentin and norco at the moment

4) Have him rule out the possibility of a bacterial infection on the thumb

Do you have any more questions?

If you are satisfied, Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars below, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating.

Do you have any more questions?

Do you have any more questions?

Do you have any more questions?

Do you have any more questions?

Do you have any more questions?