Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

I have had prostate cancer (2004) and seemed to have

Customer Question

I have had prostate cancer (2004) and seemed to have developed a linguinal hernia. I have a history of bladder infections and have taken Cipro antibiotic to knock them out. This time, the hernia started acting up and now my scrotum has swollen to the size of a baseball. It's not painful but I seem to have a low grade fever. I had started taking an old prescription of the Cipro - could this be the cause of the rapid swelling?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 4 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

An inguinal hernia can cause swelling in the scrotum. The blood vessels to the testicles pass though the inguinal canal. The pressure in the inguinal canal from a hernia can compress the veins and cause swelling in the scrotum.

An infection of the testicle or of the tube that drains the testicle could also be a cause of swelling of the scrotum, and also could be the cause of a low grade fever.

The Cipro, itself, is not reported to cause swelling of the scrotum.

The fact that you are not having any pain is reassuring that the most serious condition that can cause swelling is not present. If the testicle twists on itself, called testicular torsion, it can interfere with blood supply to the testicle, and will cause swelling and significant pain. If this happens, it would typically need emergency care, but as long as you are not having pain, there is no reason to be concerned that this is present. However, if pain develops, it would be important to be seen.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.