Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

I am having severe left side flank pain when I sit down, I

Customer Question

I am having severe left side flank pain when I sit down, I feel like a bulge of pain in the inside of the left quadrant. If I were to push on my rectum, to say I was wiping myself from a bowel movement, it hurts in my left side, so... The act of actually going to sit up, sit down, and push up on my rectum cause the left side to hurt badly. I don't understand what it could be. Please help.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 6 months ago.

Hello

It can be inflammation in the colon.

This can be from many different causes.

Diagnosing this starts with an exam.

Also rectal exam and checking stool for blood.

Parasites, inflammatory bowel, and irritable bowel syndrome can all cause this.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I was diagnosed with a uti three days ago. Only leukocytes in my urine. No blood nothing. I am on my fourth dose of Cipro 500mg. Wasn't sure if this pain could be my kidney on the left side or what. It's not exactly being eased up at all. I went to urgent care yesterday and they did an abdominal X-ray which she said it looked like constipation really backed up so I took those three colace yesterday and one more today at 100mg. I am also on Lo Loestrin birth control I take daily. Anyway, I had a diagnostic laparoscopy four years ago, normal. I had a colonoscopy and endoscopy which was normal 11 months ago. Only thing he said was like a spastic colon? I had kidney and bladder ultrasound about three months ago normal and I had an ovary and uterine ultrasound two months ago which only showed a thicker than usual uterus hence the birth control recently. So.... Ok... Now my question is... It can't be like pancreatic cancer or something... My gallbladder has been gone since 2005.... If it is constipation like they said yesterday due to X-ray... Would it still hurt this bad even though I have been passing a lot of stool due to the colace?? How long will it take for this pain to go away??
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have had two weeks ago a nasty stomach virus which had me throwing up and diarrhea where the UTI came from I'm sure from the bacteria or whatever getting close to vaginal area and what not from all that madness happening at the same time, when it cleared up, three days later I had another bout of diarrhea which caused it to keep coming out green and very very gassy so I'm sure it was another virus... Plus! All these symptoms are kind of going in hand with the same time I was riddled with deer fly/sand fly? Bites all over my body... I'm worried something may be "stuck" in there? I'm not sure. should I try a probiotic? Keep taking the colace? Stay on Cipro? I don't know... All I can do is cry. I have obviously been dealing with all this for a long time due to extensive tests. Ugh.

You said nothing about the UTI

Yes this can be the cause.

I would finish the antibiotic.

You can take a probiotic at any time.