Nadim Al-Mubarak
Nadim Al-Mubarak,
Experience:  MD at University Hospital Case Medical Center
16855155

Blood pressure 180 / 70 in am; cant gt it below 160 in

Customer Question

blood pressure 180 / 70 in am; cant gt it below 160 in afternoon. Already on 4 blood pressure measurement. How diagnose my problem an treat it?
JA: Sounds like you have some questions about your blood pressure. Luckily, the doctors and specialists are on call 24/7 to get you the answers you need to stay healthy. When was your last checkup?
Customer: Last week.
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.
Customer: am on amlodipine besylate 2.5 mg, diovan 320 mg, dixazosin mesylate 8 mg, metorolos succinate 50 mg,hctz 25 mg.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I am 88 years old.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Nadim Al-Mubarak replied 6 months ago.

Greetings

Your BP is clearly not well controlled despite of the multiple medications. The question is why? There are a number of possibilities:

1. This BP reading needs to be confirmed by a different machine, just to make sure it is not an error
  2. Make sure you are on strict low diet. Salt intake makes BP control difficult
  3. Your kidney and Kidney artery need to be checked for problem and arterial obstruction. The kidney plays an important role in BP control and if the kidney or the kidney artery are not normal, then the BP will be difficult to control
  4. Some people do require multiple medications to achieve good BP control and you are one of them. There is still room for further adjustment in your medications, and that can only be done by your treating physician who knows your best
  5. If your BP remains this high, 180/70, you are advised to go to emergency room for further treatment, as it could lead to serious complications

If this answers your question, please complete the rating above. It's how we get credit for our service. You may still email me with questions on this issue after the rating. Best wishes