Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My psychiatrists prescribed 10 mg of Prozac anxiety. I

Customer Question

My psychiatrists prescribed 10 mg of Prozac for my anxiety. I started taking it on Wed and experiencing side effects. Is there anyway I can take this med every other day to help with the side effects. I am not sleeping well, anxious, little shaky and muscle twitches.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr Love and I will be glad to assist you today.

Yes, it is fine to take the Prozac every other day to get to a lower dose. The Prozac is actually a very long acting drug, with a half-life of several days, so it is fine to take it every other day.

Many of the side effects will ease as your body gets used to the drug, but if the side effects persist, then your doctor will likely prefer to change to a different medicine.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can anxiety cause burning skin sensations and acid reflux?

Yes, anxiety can cause burning skin sensations and will commonly contribute to an acid irritation syndrome, not only acid reflux, but also gastritis or ulcers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Skin burning sensations in chest, shoulders and arms.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Forgot to add upper back.

Actually, anxiety can cause burning skin sensations anywhere, which is why I was able to provide the above answer without knowing the location of the burning sensation.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, also does your skin become super sensitive ie like after shaving it feels like it is burning as well.

Yes, it can. Anxiety can cause virtually any subjective neurologic symptom, and can be of such severity that someone can think that they are having a stroke.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Once on Meds for anxiety howong does it take for the burning skin sensations to stop.

It takes 3-4 weeks for the full effect of any dose to build up in the body, and the doctor can then decide whether a higher dose is necessary.